Newcastle is KwaZulu-Natal's fourth oldest town and was named after the British Colonial Secretary, the Duke of Newcastle, when it was founded in 1864. The town played a role in South African history and once served as a barracks for Transvaal-bound British soldiers during the South African War.
Newcastle was originally known as Post Halt Two on the journey between Port Natal-Durban and the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek. The town was referred to as Viljoensdorp by the Boers during their brief occupation in 1899.
At the junction of 3 provinces, this 'natural' destination and departure point for travellers is now the largest town in northern KwaZulu-Natal with all the amenities and advantages of city life a mere ten minutes' drive from scenic, pristine mountain countryside.
Today, steel furnaces dominate the town as well as coal related industries. Visitors to this sunny town will be struck by the beauty of the old buildings, such as Hilldrop House or the old Armoury.
Worth a visit too, is the largest domed Hindi Temple in the Southern Hemisphere, which was erected by the local Indian population. Outdoor enthusiasts will also find that there is plenty to do in Newcastle, from Trout fishing to hiking along the beautiful trails.